Remote learning updates and resources

Photograph by Christin Hume

Alyssa Antonio, Online Copy Editor

COVID-19 has thrown a wrench into everybody’s lives. Since online school started back in March, there have been many mixed opinions about whether people enjoyed remote learning or not. Originally, quarantine was supposed to only last two weeks. Fast-forward to now, it has been almost eight months since quarantine started, yet cases are still rising. In Douglas County, elementary schools have been learning in-person for just a little over a month.

Online school this semester has been different from last year because Zoom and Canvas are now the main platforms used for learning and teaching. Last school year, Zoom was suspended and most teachers used Google Classroom. Students like Canvas more than Google Classroom. There are websites that list the pros and cons of Canvas and Google Classroom, and a common pattern is that Canvas is more favored and organized.

Making sure to set aside a desired work area and time to do homework can help with staying motivated during this time. Also, try limited distractions, listening to calming music and staying active can be very helpful.

7 remote learning tips students should know
  • Plan a daily routine. Having a daily schedule and goals to accomplish gives students a sense of security and predictability.
  • Stay focused. As teachers already know, the learning environment has a huge impact on productivity and concentration.
  • Use edtech. Try to focus on a few effective tools that students already know how to use.
  • Study efficiently.
  • Receive feedback.
  • Collaborate online.
  • Ask for help.