Suicide Awareness

Suicide awareness ribbon

Suicide awareness ribbon

Jack Cluver, Section Editor

In today’s society, suicide seems to be more prevalent and out there than ever. There are many ways to get help for suicidal thoughts, but not a lot of people have the courage to ask for the help. There are some signs for depression including: a loss of interest in earlier enjoyable things, eating changes(these include eating more and eating less), mood swings, and the most obvious expressing negative thoughts. Though depression is not always a factor in suicide, it is an issue that can be helped before it becomes a huge problem. If a friend seems to be expressing any of these symptoms, discuss the concerns with them. Sometimes all they need is a friend to lean on and just being there can really help them.

Suicide is an awful thing and most likely has been discussed in a class or assembly a couple times. If someone is suicidal, sometimes they show signs before, but that is not always the case. Sometimes it comes as a complete shock. Signs to look for, if there are any, are isolation, talking about suicide, talking of harming themselves in anyway, or really just talking about feeling worthless in any way. If they do display these signs report them to an adult. Teachers are here to help their students. This is not just referring to school, if there is any concern with a friend they can email a counselor. Names can be kept anonymous, but the counselor may bring the friend in for questioning on the report. Suicide is the second leading cause of death in teenagers ages fifteen to twenty-four, every forty seconds someone dies from suicide. This results in about four thousand four hundred deaths per year.

There are many resources outside of school for teens to go to incase of these suicidal thoughts. Sometimes texting could be easier for them to express their issues, sometimes a call, sometimes they cannot discuss it with someone they will see the next day. Some outside resources are The National Suicide Prevention Lifeline the phone number is 1-800-273-8255 and the Crisis Text Hotline, text CONNECT to 741741. Both of these are confidencial, free services that can save a life.

• Features

How Food Unites Us All

• Suicide Awareness

News

California “House of Horrors”

• Suicide Awareness

News

#MeToo and What It Means

• Features

The Future of Technology

• Opinion

Tide Pod Challenge

• Suicide Awareness

Features

Plastic Bags Changing Lives

• Suicide Awareness

Entertainment

What Do Our Zodiac Signs Say About Us?

• Suicide Awareness

Features

The Youtubers Who Grew Popular in 2017

• Suicide Awareness

News

Snowy Sahara

• Suicide Awareness

News

State of the Union

Suicide Awareness