Breaking News
The Student News Site of Roseburg High School

Orange R

Orange R

Orange R

Writers Guild Wins Strike

WGA Signs Put Aside

After 148 days at the picket line the Writers Guild of America have finally come to a deal with the AMPTP(Alliance of Motion Picture and Television Producers). Guild leaders announced on Sunday, Sep. 27 that they were given an ‘exceptional’ deal from the movie studios. While the writers still have to ratify the deal through a vote in October, guild members can start working during that process. After asking for compensation, protections from AI, and larger minimum staff in May their demands were called ‘unreasonable’ by many movie and television executives. With this strike coming to an end in favor of the writers, things are looking good for the Screen Actors Guild. On Wednesday, September 28 at 12:01am leadership of WGA West and WGA East voted unanimously to end the strike.

The Writers Guild outlined the details of their tentative deal in a summary posted to their website. Included in the deal were an increase in minimums, increase in health pension and contribution rate, protection from artificial intelligence, minimum initial compensation, accelerated payment, viewership-based streaming bonuses, streaming data transparency, premiums for pilot and backup scripts, and many more I have not listed here. This win is a great step forward to a livable wage for all workers of all industries.

Donate to Orange R
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal

Your donation will support the student journalists of Roseburg High School. Your contribution will allow us to purchase equipment and cover our annual website hosting costs.

Donate to Orange R
$50
$500
Contributed
Our Goal